Re: ALSA sound recording frustration

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 14:52, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
> On Thursday 27 November 2008 17:40, Nigel Henry wrote:
>> On Thursday 27 November 2008 15:38, Mark Neidorff wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > In case I have to say it, I'm very frustrated trying to get ALSA sound
>> > working on my Debian ETCH (up to date) box.
>> >
>> > My motherboard has built-in sound.  Needless to say, I want to hear
>> > sound. I also want to be able to record sound from the stereo headphones
>> > jack of my radio and the stereo audio out from my XM radio.
>> >
>> > I've used
>> > arecord -t wav -f CD junk.wav
>> > to try to record.  No matter what the settings in the mixers...total
>> > silence (as seen by audacity and as confirmed by using hexdump).
>> >
>> > I've searched.
>> > I tried reloading the ALSA drivers.
>> > I ran alsaconf.

Alsaconf is generally not useful unless you have an ISA card

>> > I downloaded and installed the kernel source and the ALSA drivers source,
>> > but I was not able to compile the drivers (couldn't find version.h).
>> > Yes, I adjusted for source location with:
>> > ./config --with-kernel=/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.18
>> > I've tried alsamixer and alsamixergui.
>> >
>> > Here is a bunch of info that I found about my system:
>> >
>> > alsamixergui:
>> >
>> > Chip Analog Devices  AD1986A

This is the important bit. That chip uses the snd-hda-intel module.
hda-intel has had a lot of improvements in recent version of ALSA,
so a kernel/alsa upgrade is probably your best bet.

>> > Is there anything else you need to know about my system to help me get
>> > sound working?
>> >
>> > PLEASE HELP me get sound working.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Mark

<snip>

>> Their are 2 options. Upgrade the alsa driver, which is currently 1.0.18a,
>> or install a later kernel, which has a later alsa driver.
>>
>> I chose on this machine to install a later kernel, which has alsa driver
>> 1.0.16, and my sound on Etch works ok with this.
>>
>> If you want go this way, add the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list
>>
>> deb ftp://musix.ourproject.org/pub/musix/deb/ ./
>>

> Hi Mark.
>
> I see that the thread that you started with the subject of.
> "ALSA sound recording frustration" has now moved into a discussion of
> electrical theory, which is not helping you with your problem.
>
> Even though your subject line stated you had a recording problem, your first 2
> paragraphs indicated that you had no sound at all, which is why I suggested
> the later kernel from the musix repo, in order to get the sounds working with
> Etch, as that kernel uses a later version of the alsa driver (1.0.16).
>
> Have you tried installing the kernel from the musix repo? If so, are the
> sounds working now with your Etch install?
>
> Only trying to help you to get your sounds working.

A better option than a Musix kernel might be Etch and a Half:

http://wiki.debian.org/EtchAndAHalf

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers