[SOLVED] Re: How to enable reading SNMP from the LAN in Lenny

Mirto Silvio Busico ha scritto:
Hi all,

I'm trying to setup a lan monitoring system (zenoss)
Trying to enable SNMP in Lenny, I'm able to query the snmpd daemon only
on localhost.

I tried to configure snmpd.conf file using the tutorial at
http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/snmp.htm
Then I tried the snmpconf utility.

I always get the same behaviour:

snmpwalk localhost -c public -v1 (works correctly and gives a lot of output)

snmpwalk 192.168.32.161 -c public -v1 (gives the error "Timeout: No
Response from 192.168.32.161")

The files /etc/hosts_allow and /etc/hosts_deny are empty

What can I do?

Thanks
    Mirto

Replying to myself:

There is a modificationo to do in the file /etc/default/snmpd -> temove "127.0.0.1" from the SNMPDOPTS line.

Sloution found at: http://www.debuntu.org/how-to-monitor-your-servers-with-snmp-and-cacti

Citation:

1.2. Configuring SNMPD

The first thing we want to make sure is that snmpd is only going to wait for connections on localhost. To do this, edit file /etc/default/snmpd and make sure those values are set:

SNMPDRUN=yes
SNMPDOPTS='-Lsd -Lf /dev/null -u snmp -I -smux -p /var/run/snmpd.pid 127.0.0.1'

If you want your server to listen on all interfaces, remove the 127.0.0.1 bit.

This setting will make sure that the service will be started and that the service is going to bind to localhost.

Regards
    Mirto

begin:vcard
fn:Mirto Silvio Busico
n:Busico;Mirto Silvio
org:Busico Mirto Silvio
adr:;;Via Casiglion De' Pepoli 84;Roma;RM;00127;Italia
email;internet:m.busico@ieee.org
title:Dr.
tel;work:+39 333 4562651
tel;cell:+39 333 4562651