Re: Debian Boot Hangs at Swapfile Swap

On Nov 27, 10:00 pm, "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtu...@vianet.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 07:15:53PM -0800, mond wrote:
> > I have a tiny problem about my debian/sid. When I boot my debian, it
> > hangs at activating swapfile swap ...done.
>
> > Here is what I get from the screen:
>
> > Mounting local filesystems ... done
> > Activating swapfile swap .. done
>
> > It just hangs here. Then I press "ctrl-c"(sometimes, twice). The boot
> > continues to set up network. And everything is fine.
>
> > This is very annoying. I googled a while ending with no clue. I also
> > check the file moutall.sh in /etc/init.d/. I think maybe something
> > wrong with that. But I don't know how to modify it.
>
> Its not hanging at activating swap, since it says "done".  Its hanging
> on the next command.  Look in /etc/rcS.d, the directory that contains
> numbered symlinks to /etc/init.d used for the initial startup.
>
> On my i386 system, the script after S35mountall.sh is S36discover and
> then S36mountall-bootclean.sh.
>
> You can edit /etc/default/rcS and change
> VERBOSE=no
> VERBOSE=yes
>
> to get more output of some commands the scripts run.
>
> Don't modify the initscripts themselves.  They should work.  If they
> don't, a whole lot of people would be complaining.
>
> Also, check the /var/log/boot file.  Some messages go here instead of
> the console, that is if you have bootlog enabled in
> /etc/default/bootlogd.
>
> Doug.
>
> --

Doug. Thank you very much for your help.

I looked at the /etc/rcS.d/ . Here is what I got:

 S35mountall.sh
 S36mountall-bootclean.sh
 S36udev-mtab
 S37mountoverflowtmp
 S39ifupdown
 S40networking

As I know that S35mountall.sh and s40networking are fine.  So
something goes wrong when debian hit 36 37 or 39.

I have a feeling that the problem is about S39. Anyway, I will reboot
the system check what kind log I can get. Also I am reading the /etc/
init.d/rc file too. Maybe I need to modify it.

Not quite sure yet. Thanks again.

Mond