Re: using the clipboard

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 03:29:38PM +0000, Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Rick Pasotto <rick@niof.net> wrote:
> > I have a text file of about 100 lines (more than will display on one
> > screen of less or vi). How can I get the entire file into the
> > clipboard so I can then do a single paste to get it into a web text
> > box? I know I can do it in sections but pasting uses the scroll
> > wheel and the scroll wheel wants to scroll so the text frequently
> > ends up getting inserted in the wrong place.
> >
> > Things work fine in the other direction since a browser window will
> > scroll automatically when the mouse pointer reaches the bottom or
> > top of the window.
>
> You can use the tool xclip to read the contents of a file to the
> clipboard.

Thank you very much. xclip does exactly what I want but I didn't know
about it so it wasn't installed.

> Many x-terminal scrolls and have configurable scrollback size so if
> you're using one of those then you can most likely adjust the settings
> so that the whole file fits.
>
> You can also open the file in vim (or gvim) and copy to the clipboard.
>  If you want the whole file then jump to the top (gg) then copy
> everything to the '+' register ("+yG).  I'm sure you can use emacs in
> some way to do the same, but you'll have to ask someone else about
> that :)

I think you meant the * register ("*yG), at least that's what ':help clip'
gives. Another wonderful vim capability that I was unaware of.

Thanks again.

--
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice they are not."
	-- Yogi Berra