Re: /var/log growing rapidly

Paul Cartwright <ale@pcartwright.com>:
>  On Wed November 19 2008, s. keeling wrote:
> > >  I did a CTRL-ALT-F9 earlier that day, thinking I was switching to my
> > > OTHER user logged in, and those lines were on the screen, instead of the
> > > gdm login
> >
> > syslogd may be configured to send messages to that pty also.  It's a
> > common prctice and probably not sinister.
>
>  I just looked through /etc/syslog.conf, and I didn't see anything about a
>  pty..

Sorry, this is part of the kernel configuration, I believe.

>  99.999% of the lines were comments.. except for this:
>  # The named pipe /dev/xconsole is for the `xconsole' utility.  To use it,
>  #    $ xconsole -file /dev/xconsole [...]
>  	*.=notice;*.=warn	|/dev/xconsole
>
>  so... what is xconsole?

A very useful app if you can get it to work.  It puts a small window
on your display that scrolls /var/log/messages constantly in real
time.  It's very nice if you're changing something and want to know
the immediate effect it has.

In practice, it's very difficult to get X to let root put a root owned
process on a user's display, and once you get it going, the next
Debian release breaks your tweak, at least in my experience.