Reinstalling Packages after Rebuilding System with Etch Sound Advice

	Just to let all of you know what to expect:

	I upgraded the system I use at work to etch and
everything seemed to work except for the sound card which is a
SB Live. The batch file I had been using to set levels no longer
worked and I could hear absolutely nothing from the speakers.

amixer

produced a different output than what I was used to seeing and I
finally figured out what happened.

	The sound card works just fine at least so far but the
new alsa setup apparently redefines all the controls.

	A few of them changed from stereo adjustment to mono
adjustment so one value effects both channels at once.

	I imagine it depends heavily upon which sound card you
are using but you may just have to do what I did and start
cranking everything that looks like a volume control up until
something comes through.

	Be sure to keep your speakers set more toward low volume
so that when you finally hit the rights witch, you don't blow
your eardrums out and render the reason for a sound card a moot
point.:-)

	I haven't tried recording but mplayer seems back to
normal now that I found which virtual knobs to turn.

	In this case, it was the PCM control that now determines
volume of playback. That makes perfect sense, but under sarge,
it had no effect.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer