USB mount with multiple users broken (hal and consolekit)

Hi,
I'm having trouble with automounting of removable devices, when
multiple users are logged in via GDM. This is with Debian Lenny.
If I do tail -f /var/syslog, and then attach an USB stick, I get a
message like this:

Nov 25 17:56:02 myws hald: mounted /dev/sde1 on behalf of uid 1000

which is nice. However, when I do this repeatedly with multiple users
logged in, the UID keeps on changing randomly. Sometimes it's the UID
who is logged of the active X session, sometimes not. Of course, this
makes the USB stick unusable, unless you get happen to get lucky with
the UID lottery.

Now, I thought consolekit was supposed to resolve this by letting hal
know about the active session, but apparently it still does not work.
Is everybody else having the same problem? It's a pain for our lab
with multiple-user workstations.

Versions of relevant packages:

ii  consolekit              0.2.10-2                framework for
defining and tracking users, sessions and seats
ii  hal                     0.5.11-6                Hardware Abstraction Layer

yours,
Jussi