Re: [OT] Steganography [WAS] Re: Joiner for Linux

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 15:45:28 -0600
Mark Allums <mark@allums.com> wrote:

> Celejar wrote:
> > Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il> wrote:
> >> There are even tools such as steghide for those who want to do things
> >> as useless as hiding information inside an image.
> >
> > I'm curious; why is that necessarily useless?  I now that many
> > steganography methods are broken, in the sense that there are methods to
> > detect their use and possibly even recover the hidden information, but
> > why is the concept inherently useless?
>
> Not totally or inherently useless, but not very practical.  You would
> still need encryption as well as information hiding, so the only use for
> it is to try and hide the fact that you are hiding something.  That is
> very hard to do.  You may thank your friendly neighborhood statistician
> for that.

I am aware that encryption is still required; steganography will
commonly be used in concert with encryption. As to the feasibility of
detecting steganography, there is a fair amount of work on the
subject, e.g.:

http://www.jjtc.com/Steganalysis/
http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1684
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steganography
http://www.guillermito2.net/stegano/

And see the references in the Wikipedia article.

> Mark Allums

Celejar