Re: playing multimedia over my local network - how?

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 10:49:37 -0500, H.S. (hs.samix@gmail.com) wrote:

> Bob Cox wrote:

> >> Better alternative:
> >> $> smbmount //M/Videos ~/Videos -o username=hs
> >>
> >> followed by the password. Then I get the mounted directory in ~/Videos.
> >> To unmount, I use "smbumount ~/Videos".
> >
> > Glad you managed to get it working.
> >
> > I do not manually mount/umount but instead have the following in my
> > /etc/fstab
> >
> > [ Remote machine called gaia, folder to share 'fileserver', mounted on
> > /mnt/fileserver ]
> >
> > //gaia/fileserver  /mnt/fileserver  cifs //guest,uid=1000,gid=1000  0 0
>
> So you have set up samba to not require a password when a user connects
> to the server?

Yes - the only users my family and me on a wired LAN.

> > Of course, this presupposes that the remote PC is 'always there'.
>
> Yes, of course.
>
> > I use static IPs with all machines on the LAN in the hosts file,
> > otherwise I believe I would need to use something like
> > "//192.168.200.7/fileserver" instead.
>
> I use dnsmasq on my router machine to solve this problem. Works very well.

I have avoided DHCP altogether and rely on hosts files as there is only
a few machines within the LAN.  My ISP provides me with a static IP,
which makes running mail and web severs easier and the ISP's DNS servers
IP addresses don't change either, so I don't think dnsmasq would be of
much benefit here.

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
Please reply to the list only. Do NOT send copies directly to me.