Re: Very slim Desktop Manager

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 04:44:54AM +0100, s. keeling wrote:

> Not to mention, gpm config is a black art.  I have no clue how to gpm
> my mouse, and haven't for years.  I knew how long ago, but gpm is not
> easy these days.  What protocol does a three button, serial, logitech
> mouse use?  None of what I've tried work.  M/N:M-M35?

It worked out of the box for me, I have a Logitech Trackman Marble
FX. It has 4 buttons, and at least three of them work.

lee@cat:~$ cat /etc/gpm.conf
#  /etc/gpm.conf - configuration file for gpm(1)
#
#  If mouse response seems to be to slow, try using
#  responsiveness=15. append can contain any random arguments to be
#  appended to the commandline.
#
#  If you edit this file by hand, please be aware it is sourced by
#  /etc/init.d/gpm and thus all shell meta characters must be
#  protected from evaluation (i.e. by quoting them).
#
#  This file is used by /etc/init.d/gpm and can be modified by
#  "dpkg-reconfigure gpm" or by hand at your option.
#
device=/dev/input/mice
responsiveness=
repeat_type=none
type=exps2
append=''
sample_rate=

lee@cat:~$

What gpm doesn't like is when by using setfont the number of lines on
the screen changes, but restarting it fixes that. It eventually
doesn't like starting X11, but that is probably because I still have
X11 configured to access the mouse instead of using gpm because I
didn't use gpm before. For the protocol:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Configured Mouse"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "CorePointer"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
EndSection

Just give it a try and install it, if it doesn't work, you can still
remove it.