[OT] Burning usb keys (was: Re: Unappending boot options in Lilo?)

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>:
>  On 11/13/08 21:30, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 09:23:27PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> >> On 11/13/08 11:49, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> >> [snip]
> >> [Sigh]  Doug, Doug, Doug, Doug, Doug...
> >>
> >> This is the 21st Century.  Only crotchety old geezers have computers
> >> with floppy drives in them.
> >
> > OK.  Why isn't there a grub-stick package to dd onto a UBS stick?
>
>  Excellent question.  The Ubuntu LiveCD is adequate to the task,
>  though.  (I tried the "standard" Lenny LiveCD, but after searching
>  for my CD drive on sda, it turned my screen a weird pixelated grey.)

I can recommend unetbootin (google).  I needed to get a few things
(all available in etch) for it to install correctly, but I've since
burned Zenwalk to a usb key and it boots into the installer.  I'm
getting ZW live iso now to see if it goes further (a running desktop).

unetbootin supplies a .deb, which once installed burns a url or an
on-disk iso to the key then makes it bootable.  Pretty slick, and real
simple to use.