Re: Lenny, apt(titude), dependency issues, seg faults and corrupted .DEB packages

Memtest86+ is a GPL'd memory testing suite that should work with
anything in the i386-amd64 family.  If you can burn the CD, it will do
its own thing so long as you boot from the CD drive.
See: http://www.memtest.org/  (Don't know if your system is functional
enough to download and burn a cd, but you're posting to the mailing
list, so maybe you can?)

If something is wrong with your memory, that ought to spot it, and it
runs completely separate from any operating system you have installed,
so even if your lenny is pretty seriously borked you should still be
able to work with it.

I would be surprised if the SATA cables were the culprit, but it never
hurts to be thorough.  Just be sure to check each part, one piece at a
time.

Good luck.