Re: Very slim Desktop Manager

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 12:02:24PM EST, Jochen Schulz wrote:

> Just to name two of them: irssi is an excellent IRC client and mcabber
> is a great Jabber client.

You can also take a look at weechat. Maybe it's me but everything I
needed was there and implemented in such a way that I never even had to
look at the (excellent) manual. A most intuitive application for
terminal believers!

> BTW, I find your discussion quite interesting

[..]

I'll second that .. _very_ interesting.

Where I'm concerned... a "slim" _UI_ -- rather than the ever popular
"window manager" misnomer -- is gnu/screen (mentioned elsewhere in this
thread).

The slimness I'm talking about is not about low RAM utilization .. it's
about my own personal low "intra-cranial-cpu" utilization.

:-)

Bloat-free is really what matters in the end.. because BLOAT confuses
you day in day out and slowly destroys the mind.

My personal setup has the added advantage that I can run the same UI
with the same exact look and feel whether I'm in X/XTerm or the linux
console.. fbiterm or whatever.. And it's painless to switch.. because I
can fall back on exactly the same old habits that are now wired into my
fingers.

Not to mention that even on the console, I still have on the last line
of my display (no icons or fancy mini-graphs that the console cannot
handle there..) all the useful counters that give me the system's
current temperature, CPU utilization, memory and swap utilization,
network up/down traffic activity.. not to mention the current date and
time.

I should add that I use the excellent 12-point "terminus" font both in X
and the linux console. At my LCD's 1400x1050 native resolution this
gives me precisely 232x86 columns/lines whether I run it on the linux
console or a maximized XTerm.

The only thing that tells the two contexts apart (that I badly miss..)
is that the linux console does not support 256 colors.

Hope that helps.

CJ

P.S. If anyone is interested, I can post screenshots of my setup over
the weekend .. deeds better than words as they say...