Re: 64 bit kernel, 32-bit userland

On 10/15/08 00:21, Rich Healey wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 10/14/08 23:14, Rich Healey wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 10/14/08 22:37, Rich Healey wrote:
[snip]
I'd disagree. 32bit + 64bit kernel is always a good idea, and 64 bit
How do you do that?  Just install the amd64 kernel and reboot?

Yup :)

Very simple, addresses a lot of problems. In production if a customer
purchases x86_64 kit that's what I deploy to them. You'll even find it's
in the i386 repos.
Thanks.

What if I want to build my own kernel?

Just build a 64 bit kernel. If you're building an i386 or PPC kernel
there is an option toplevel or one down in the config for a 64 bit kernel.

Not that I can find.

These are the only two archtypes i've got much experience with, and also
the only two that have a 32 bit subset instruction set that springs to mind.

I set the subarch to Opteron and, based on what I found in lkml using Google, did:

# make clean
# ARCH=x86_64 make menuconfig
# make
# make modules_install

Still 32 bit.  Do I have to do this, too?
# ARCH=x86_64 make

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

If you don't agree with me, you are worse than Hitler!!!