change loading order of modules in apache

I am experiencing something with Apache that hasn't been a problem on three previous Etch builds. We use Ajaxterm as a proxy to reach another server as part of our web application. On all previous builds Apache has loaded all related proxy modules in the correct order by default. In this latest install--a fresh server build--Apache will not load the load the proxy module first and I can find no documentation on how to change the load order in Debian. Can someone point me towards a link on how to do this?