Cannot upgrade kernel

I have been going around in circles on this.  I am trying to upgrade my kernel from 2.2.20 to the current stable kernel 2.6.18.  When I run aptitude I get a glibc error because it needs at least a 2.4.1 kernel to install but the new kernel won't install without the new glibc.

Here is what is happening.  I am entering:

aptitude install linux-image-2.6.18-6-686

After the usual output I get this:

preparing to replace libc6 2.3.2.ds1-22sarge3 (using .../libc6_2.3.6.ds1-13etch7i386.deb) ...

Then I get notices that I need to turn off daemons like xdm, kdm, xscreensaver all of which are off or not installed.  And then it asks:

Do you want to upgrade glibc now? [Y/n]

After I select Y I get this message:

WARNING:  This version of glibc requires that you be running kernel version 2.4.1 or later. . .

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/lib6_2.3.6.ds1-13etch7_i386.deb --unpack):
subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1

Then the whole thing bombs.

I have tried an aptitude dist-upgrade and that did not work.  Same error messages.  I tried putting a hold on glibc but that didn't work either.  Even tried the -f parameter with aptitude with no success.

Anyone know a way around this so I can to get the kernel upgraded?

Thanks,

Brian