Re: Etch and ATI Xpress 200G video support?

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Scott R. Ehrlich <scott@mit.edu> wrote:
> I have a Compaq desktop whose motherboard has an intergrated ATI Tech RS480
> [Radeon Xpress 200G series] video card.   I have pretty decent video support
> now under Ubuntu.  If I were to switch to Debian, what are people's
> experiences with video support for this card?   This is a home PC, so I
> don't plan to invest any money for better/different video.   The card works
> fine.
>
> Thanks for your insights.

It depends on which version of X you are using. Etch has xorg 7.1. Lenny has
7.3 as do Ubuntu 8.04 and 7.10. I am not sure when support for the rs400 series
went in, but I suspect 7.1 is too early.

Of course it is a different matter if you are using the closed source
fglrx driver.
It should work in xorg 7.1, but setting it up is a little harder than in Ubuntu.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers