Re: Very slim Desktop Manager

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 02:00:28PM +0100, Michael Ott wrote:
> I am looking for a very slim desktop manager.
>
> The system looking for is a 486 166MHz with 64MB Ram.
>
> I only want to run one or two small applications

I have a 486DX4-100 with 32 MB ram.  With that bit of ram it won't
install Debian (but does very well with OpenBSD).  I use Icewm on it
with no problems.  For an xshell I use mrxvt.  For browsing I use dillo
or links (or I ssh to a bigger box and run Konqueror or Iceweasel).

In fact, it is totally useable for everything but heavy-duty web
browsing.

Other window managers you may consider are Openbox, fluxbox, wmii.  In
short, there are many light-weight window managers that will run just
fine on your box.

What size hard drives have you had your box recognize?  My box is an IBM
and its BIOS baulks at many 8GB drives and all larger ones.

Doug.