Re: X-Window on HP ProLiant ML110

On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 18:27:59 +0700, Zaki Akhmad wrote:
> Sigh, the actual problem haven't solved yet. I found, I can't see my
> GUI again. I can't configure my screen resolution with
>  # dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xorg
>
> Here's my the /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> 	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
> 	Driver		"kbd"
> 	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
> 	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc104"
> 	Option		"XkbLayout"	"us"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> 	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
> 	Driver		"mouse"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
> 	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
> #	Option		"UseFBDev"		"true"
> 	Driver		"mga"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
> 	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
> 	Identifier	"Default Screen"
> 	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Why I can't see screen resolution option?

This option has been removed from the debconf dialog, which can lead to
problems if the correct resolution settings cannot be detected from the
monitor and/or the video driver does not support RandR. (See Teemu
Likonen's earlier mail for a link to a bug report.)

It should still be possible to specify you desired resolution(s) in
the Screen section of xorg.conf like this:

Section "Screen"
      Identifier      "Default Screen"
      Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
      DefaultDepth    24
      SubSection "Display"
              Depth       24
              Modes       "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
      EndSubSection
EndSection

If you specify more than one resolution, like in my example above, then
you can switch between them by holding down CTRL and ALT and using the
plus or minus key on the numerical keypad. If you have an LCD screen
with a fixed number of pixels then you should use exactly the matching
resolution. If your graphics card cannot support your desired resolution
then you might have to decrease the Depth from 24 to 16.

If you want to be on the safe side then you can furthermore look up the
acceptable horizontal and vertical frequency ranges for your monitor (do
not just copy the values that I give in the example below!) and add them
to the monitor section like this:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
        HorizSync       31-80
        VertRefresh     56-75
        DisplaySize     335 270
EndSection

HorizSync is in kHz, VertRefresh is in Hz. The DisplaySize is width and
height in millimeters; it is not absolutely necessary that you specify
it, but it can help to avoid inconsistencies with the sizes of fonts.

          Florian   |