Re: grub with sata drives?

Thomas H. George wrote:
> I have two sata drives, sda and sdb with the root partition on sdb.  I
> installed grub on sdb and made the following entries in
> /boot/grub/menu.lst:
>
> kopt=root=/dev/sdb1
> groot=(sdb,0)
>
> and ran update-grub.

Which is the outpout message of the update-grub ?

> Next I tried to boot the system and got the splash screen with my
> kernels listed but then a message:
>
> root (sdb,0)
> Error 23: Error while parsing number
>
> I have tried using grub's line completion to find a correct entry for
> groot.  If I enter:
>
> grub> groot=(sd
>
> followed by a tab I get:
>
> groot=(sdiff)
>
> If I try groot=(hd
>
> followed by a tab I get nothing.

Anyway, if you have SATA/SCSI disks, debian (or Linux, in general) calls
them sd* (sda, sdb). Because hd* is for ATA disks.

> Surely there must be many users booting from sata drives so there must
> be a simple solution to my problem but a google search finds numerous
> instructions for booting with grub but all the examples appear to be for
> ide hard drives - that is groot=(hd0,0).

I don't understand why it's "groot" and not "root" ?

Like this :

title        Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.26-1-486
root        (hd1,0)
kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-486 root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet
initrd        /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-1-486

At boot, when you get "error 23", you should type "e" two times. Try
other values for "root=(sdb,0) " and type "b". Do again this
manipulation if you need.

--
http://snurf.info
"Civil Engineering section" project : http://civil-e-section.org