gv (gs) not producing full plots on AMD64 with nVidia

I'm running Debian etch on my AMD64 box. It has an nVidia GeForce 6600
card and I'm using nVidia's module driver (v169.12). When I try and use
'gv' to display an IDL-produced plot it gives a partial plot, the cursor
shows that interpretting is progressing but it never completes the plot.
(If I take the same file and run it through 'gv' on another machine
there is no problem and the plot is plotted within a second or so.) I'd
welcome ideas on how to diagnose what's happening and on how to fix it.
Thanks, M