Re: VLC x DVD x USB connected.

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 8:05 AM,  <peasthope@shaw.ca> wrote:
> Can VLC play a a movie from a DVD drive
> connected by USB 2?  Are any specific
> settings or permissions required.

There shouldn't be. As long as the DVD can be mounted everything
should work fine. There aren't - or at leest shouldn't be any issues
in mounting a dvd over a usb interface compared to doing so over an
ide or scsi type interface - at least in theory. Not having such a
device (usb dvd that is) my only caveat is that you are playing from
(comparatively) slower media (dvd) and you are bringing that data
through a comparatively slower interface, namely usb2.0.

In mplayer, there is a setting for adding a cache amount, which is
useful for playing files from slow(er) media. I think there is a
similar setting in VLC. You may need to increase that value - 256 or
512 seems to be a safe bet - I use those mostly when playing video
over the net (like from a streaming video site).

Look for the caching checkbox in (for instance) File; Open dialog box.
You can check it and see if adding a value helps.