Re: cedilla on a us_intl keyboard

Frederico Rodrigues Abraham <devotion97@gmail.com> writes:

> I finally found out the solution, after 3 years ;)

Let me make a different suggestion, not a better one necessarily, but
just a different one.  Critiques are welcome, in case I have a typo or
get something wrong.

Debian Etch, fluxbox

Put these settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc104"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
        Option          "XkbOptions"    "compose:menu"
EndSection

Put this entry into /etc/environment

        LANG="en_US.iso885915"

With this setting, on my system, the 'locale' command produces this
output:

LANG=en_US.iso885915
LC_CTYPE="en_US.iso885915"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.iso885915"
LC_TIME="en_US.iso885915"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.iso885915"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.iso885915"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.iso885915"
LC_PAPER="en_US.iso885915"
LC_NAME="en_US.iso885915"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.iso885915"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.iso885915"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.iso885915"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.iso885915"
LC_ALL=

In this way I have a regular US keyboard with no dead keys, but
using menu as the Multi_key, I can produce most of the accented
characters, including the c cedilla.

This works because the compose-key settings (Multi_key) are regulate
in X by

/usr/share/X11/locale/iso8859-15/Compose

And the "compose:menu" setting in /etc/X11/xorg.conf designates the
Multi_key, which is the compose key in X.

--
Hugh Lawson
hlawson@triad.rr.com