Re: Compatability with hard drives

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 8:50 AM, Andrei Popescu
<andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon,15.Sep.08, 23:09:24, Jimmy T wrote:
>> I am planning on using an exteranal harddrive to be my primary linux
>> drive for programming.will debian work when installed on an external
>> hard drive.
>
> I'm using one right now; it's even my primary boot device.
>
> Regards,
> Andrei
> --
> If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
> (Albert Einstein)

It may or it may not:
What is the interface you want to use? Esata? Firewire? USB?
Does your motherboard allow for booting from external disk?

I do not know of a big problem in running Debian from an external
disk, and with Suse Linux I once installed it on an external USB disk
(oops). That was running just fine, no problem.

If there are problems they will PROBABLY be hardware related in this
specific case. I do not mean bad hardware, but simply not the
flexibility required for this specific feat.

Neil

--
There are three kinds of people: Those who can count, and those who cannot count