Re: dd|tar backup over ssh fails, could someone give me a pointer.

Adrian Levi escreveu:
> My brand new laptop with windows preinstalled and the recovery
> partitions, I wanted to make a disc exact archive of it so if in the
> future I'd like to have a vmware or qemu instance of windows for the
> kids or wife I could. After I get a copy of the info I require to
> install windows Then I can quite happily blow away the whole drive and
> put my Debian on it. I just can't bear to delete software that I have
> paid for (First time ever :-)  ).

Most laptos have a 'recovery feature' that restores the system to its
preinstalled state from an image in a hidden partition. Maybe that's
already done for you, check the manual.

> At least with your description I can understand why it's failing :-)
>
> Is what I want to do possible? I wanted to do the compression on the
> new laptop as it's my fastest computer (The other computer that i'm
> transferring to is an old celeron 300MHz baby with 2 750G drives as my
> NAS)

Yes, it is possible. I'd do something like this: use dd to read the
partition and output it to stdout, pipe that into netcat, which sends to
the other host. The other host has a listening netcat that passes the
read output to bzip2 or whatever.

--
Eduardo M Kalinowski
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br