Re: For Lenny: LVM, LVM+MD or just MD for mirroring?

On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 12:59:01PM -0700, Jens wrote:
> On 5 Sep., 21:20, "Brian Schrock" <schrock.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > We use LVM and software raid via md on every server. We use md to run raid
> > 10 arrays and then we use LVM on top of that. We use snapshots to backup our
>
> Hello Brian,
>
> sounds good - what made you stack MD and LVM, and not use LVM's mirror
> feature?
> Any specific reason?

I do the same as brian, md base and lvm on top, my typical setup is

DiskA Partition 1 - 500M (sda1)
DiskA P2          - 10G
DiskA P3          - The rest

DiskB Partition 1 - 500M (sdb1)
DiskB P2          - 10G
DiskB P3          - The rest

..... (for the number of disks)
DiskX Partition 1 - 500M (sdx)
DiskX P2          - 10G
DiskX P3          - The rest

I use

sda1 & sdb1 in a raid1 for /boot (ext2), an old habit, raid1 is the
hardest to f@#k up and it it just hold /boot even harder, I leave enough
room to place rescue stuff there - busbybox and tools

sda2 & sdb2 in a raid1 for / (ext3), shouldn't need more than 10G, used
to use 8G previously, again for its simplicity

Depending on if I have any other disks or not I will make a raid5 (or
raid6) with the sd?3 paritions, if I only have the 2 disks then sda3 &
sdb3 are made into a raid1 and the resultant md is placed as a lvm
physical volume, which I then carve out things like /tmp /var/log /home
swap.  This means I can grow them on the fly as needed.

I also looked at lvm mirror, the difference is lvm need a bitmap (which
you have the option of keeping in memory - which is transient).  The
overhead of using lvm raid1 did not seem worth it (echo by my results
from googling)

Alex