Re: Can't reboot after update

On Jul 29, 10:50 am, "Zembower, Kevin" <kzemb...@jhuccp.org> wrote:
> I'm hoping someone can help me with this urgent problem. I just applied
> the updates that became available in the last couple days to my Debian
> etch host running on a Dell PowerEdge 2450 server. This included an
> update to the kernel, so I rebooted the host. The host failed to
> restart. The first error message on the console was '/init /init cannot
> open /dev/root no such device.' Just before that, it said "mounting root
> file system. Running /scripts/local-top." It finally ended by dropping
> me into BusyBox, with which I'm not familiar.
>
> There were no earlier indications of problems with the output to the
> console. All the output concerning /dev/sda, where all my directories
> are partitioned, seemed normal. This host uses a Dell PERC 3/Si card to
> provide RAID-5.
>
> Can anyone help me correct this problem? Any suggestions of commands to
> run in BusyBox to either fix or diagnose this?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help, advice and suggestions.
>
> -Kevin
>
> Kevin Zembower
> Internet Services Group manager
> Center for Communication Programs
> Bloomberg School of Public Health
> Johns Hopkins University
> 111 Market Place, Suite 310
> Baltimore, Maryland  21202
> 410-659-6139

I had a possibly similar problem (although in my case it was a LVM
volume that
couldn't be found). In my case the cause was the grub menu.lst file
was rebuilt
with some boot parameters wrong. Check /boot/grub/menu.lst to make
sure all is well there.
(clearly to do this the system has to be booted, but you should be
able to boot from
a livecd and mount the partition to do this)
(you can edit the grub menu while booting also)

Stuart