Re: Changing locale for X session

Hi!

Using etch. Using kdm.

I've found that I can put stuff in ~/.xsession. I put 'export
LC_ALL=he_IL.UTF-8' there. That made the xserver start and quit, putting me
back in kdm.

I assume that this is because X didn't start any process and it decides to die
thus.

I assume that this is because of kdm's behaviour. kdm, when it finds
the .xsession in the user's home, launches it and doesn't launch the script
that it would normally launch, the one that starts the KDE session.

I didn't want to mess around too much so I worked at this at another angle; I
set the system default to he_IL.UTF-8, which is what I want for my users, and
then I did
 echo 'export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8' >> /root/.profile
so that root won't have Hebrew in it's shell. This is because Hebrew is RTL
and it is confusing when combined with LTR; not to mention that the console
doesn't even print RTL correctly, but in reverse! (where do I file a bug for
this?)

Good week!
--
Shachar Or | שחר אור