Re: ethernet configuration

On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 22:47:34 -0300, André Timpanaro wrote:
> On 7/5/08, Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> [...]

[...]

> > > I made the change in 'z25_persistent-net.rules' and it stoped creating new
> > > interfaces.

[...]

> > > But specifying the MAC address didn't worked (he configured the
> > > interface correctly but I still couldn't connect to the internet). Probably
> > > it wasn't 00:00:6c:e9:01:77 anymore for eth0 (I suspected that would happen
> > > but decided to try it anyway).
> >
> > You can check the IP address with "ifconfig eth0". Does your DHCP server
> > base the DHCP leases on MAC addresses?
>
> Forgot to mention, it's a static server (I'm setting the ip adresses
> on /etc/network/interfaces though).
>
> > > Isn't there a sure way to retrieve the MAC address correctly?

[ snip: some suggestions to look for patches for the forcedeth module. ]

> I will take a look at these.

It would certainly be better if the driver could read the true MAC
address reliably. However, at the same time we should maybe try to
figure out if there is another problem with your network setup. As you
can tell from my earlier posts, I had initially assumed that you needed
to have a fixed MAC address to receive an IP address from a DHCP server.
If you set up the IP address statically in /etc/network/interfaces then
it should not be so bad if the MAC address changes with every boot,
unless you have some MAC-based filtering somewhere in your network.

If I understand you correctly, you still have network problems even
though udev now reliably assigns eth0 to the nvidia NIC. Can you post
your entire /etc/network/interfaces as well as the output of
"/sbin/ifconfig" and "dmesg | grep forcedeth" (right after boot), so
that we can have a closer look?

          Florian   |