updater wants to update to the current kernel version

Hi whoever is out there.

I recently installed debian etch in a virtual box vm. Several times
since then the updater has wanted to update the kernel image to the same
version as the current kernel, which is 2.6.18-6-k7. I let it do it the
first couple of times since i was new to debian, but it has become an
irritation. Does anyone know why this happens? Is it a bug in the
updater? Can anyone tell me how to stop this behaviour?

Thanks
Andrew