Re: Iceweasel 3 and gopher?

On Sat June 14 2008, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> so for me, this is an interesting situation. But I don't use
> gopher. For you it must be downright annoying.
>
> Here's how it's interesting. Firefox provided a full-blown modern
> gopher browser that essentially killed the other gui gopher browsers
> by being vastly superior. Now firefox has dropped gopher support. I
> think that will do one of two things: 1) largely kill what remains of
> gopher, 2) spur development of gui gopher browsers that have
> languished. I would hope for the second option. I don't think it
> serves anyone to have a single dominant player for a given
> protocol. If the gopher protocol still has life in it (and I gather
> that it does), then the community will be better served by having
> motivation to pick up development of the other browsers, or perhaps
> incorporate better gopher support into the other web browsers.

a blast from the past:)
http://seanm.ca/mosaic/
Development of Mosaic stopped in 1996 (official date was January 7th 1997). I
have updated Mosaic so it will compile on a modern Linux system. I also added
support for the gopher info tag.

I remember using Mosaix for gopher sites, when MY COMPANY blocked us from
using http sites, but they DIDN'T block gopher... I learned how to use
gopher!

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800