Re: USB for potato

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 12:46:36PM -0500, Fabio Guerinoni wrote:
> Hi,
>   I have an old computer, that I have resucitate not long ago, running
> potato (Debian 2.2). I wanted to load a module, for a USB interface
> storage. Apparently, nothing comes with the original distribution..
> .. and the packages that are listed under a search on the site,
> do not seem appropriate because they need the debian-installer which comes
> in the later distributions.

Potato's kernel may (likely) doesn't have the module for for the USB
storage.  You will likely need to use something more recent.

On my old boxes, I can't get Etch to run due to lack of memory and disk
space.  On them, I run OpenBSD just fine.  You will find that OpenBSD
works with most USB hardware.  Testing is easy:  read their FAQ on
www.openbsd.org, download the installer floppy image to a box with a
floppy drive, and make the floppy (if you use Debian, you'll need to use
debian's dd options not the OpenBSD dd options listed in the FAQ).  Then
connect the USB device, insert the floppy, power on the box and watch
the dmesg scroll by.  OpenBSD's dmesg are the definitive report from the
kernel what hardware it finds.  You can go to a shell in the installer
and re-read the dmesg if you want.

As someone else asked, what is the reason for using the old hardware and
for what are you wanting to use it?

Doug.