Re: KDE install issues

Tried Kent's way, and no go.  KDM does start up, it says so and whenever i type it in in tty it gives back no errors, however whenever I type in startx, it cannot be found.  is it possible that KDM is starting on my other video port, ie the one that is built into the motherboard?

In our Lord Jesus Christ,
Louie Cunningham

It is for us to become holy here and now, for we cannot be certain whether we will be here this evening.
- St. Maximillian Kolbe

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 07:43, Damon L. Chesser <damon@damtek.com> wrote:
On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 10:32 -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
Snip

> You can not stop that.  This is the current correct behavior.  The
> xorg.conf reconfiguration you expect is "old school" and now your X
> would probably start with out even an xorg.conf file.  You could try
> xorg -configure and see if that gives you a working video display.  If
> it does, it will save a config file in /root.  You could then try that
> file out like this: xorg -config /root/file. if it works, copy it
> to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

My mistake:  you need to run this:  X -configure then X
--config /root/filename

If you get an grey screen with an "x" in it that moves with your mouse,
your X is configured.  Copy the file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and test, if
the problem remains, your problem will then be in the window manger
configuration

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com