No more sound under X

Hi,

I got a strange problem since a testing ugrade several weeks ago : I
got no more sound underx, whereas it works without any problem in a
terminal without X.

More precisely, if I launch XFCE for example, the sound doesn't
work. To make it work again, I must kill all applications currently
using it (xfce-mcs-manager in this case), unload the sound modules
(emu10k1) and reload them. Then sound works.

I first thought of a problem wiuth xfce-mcs-manager, but the same
problem happens under gnome or fluxbox...

Did anybody have a similar problem ?

Thanks in advance for any help,

--
Julien