Re: Cloning hda to new internal disk (was Re: How to copy a laptop HD?)

Lee Glidewell wrote:
On Tuesday 20 May 2008 07:20:17 pm Ron Johnson wrote:
In a similar vein to OP's question, I am going to buy a new boot
disk, because my hda is old enough -- and drives are cheap enough --
that I'd rather replace it before it fails.

So I checked out CloneZilla, but it seems to be aimed at
institutional use.  Even partimage seems to need an intermediary step.

Is there any way to directly clone /dev/hda to /dev/sdX, so that I
can then boot off of /dev/sdX?

Yes, CloneZilla is capable of doing that. The default behavior is to create a full disk image, including the MBR and partition table, so if you use the "disk-to-disk" option you'll end with a ready-to-use, bootable hard disk. By "intermediary step" I'm guessing that you meant the compressed (gzip) disk image partimage can create -- but that's optional. There is the option to simply clone one disk onto another.

Not having installed CloneZilla, what happens if the old disk is 80GB and the new one 160GB?

Hugo