Something stopping Gimp loading

Something I have installed stops Gimp from loading - that is the little Gimp picture flashes on the screen briefly and then the load aborts. I can find no clue in /var/log/syslog and /var/log/kern.log so I have used dpkg --purge to remove a number of programs to no avail. I have done a number of apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade runs since I last used Gimp. Although the upgrades were quite large I assume they are not the problem since I have seen nothing on the list about this problem.

Any suggestions of what to try next would be most welcome.

Tom