Re: GRUB device numbers/names, use of device.map (Re: migrating Debian GNU/Linux Etch to second SATA drive)

hh.eu@gmx.de writes:

> Am 2008-05-10 um 07:01 schrieb Paul Csanyi:
>
>> hh.eu@gmx.de writes:
>>
>>> By the way, if you have a floppy drive, you can install GRUB on a
>>> floppy too, then you have a GRUB emergency disk which lets you
>>> perform operation such as those you described (in the GRUB shell)
>>> (for cases of drive failure etc.).
>>>
>>> -Moritz
>>
>> That shall I to do, or maybe there is an alternative option, say to
>> install GRUB on the USB stick as emergency disk?

Now, when I have finally installed GRUB on the sda so I can to boot
with it the Debian Etch that is on the sdb, I can use Debian Etch
Netinstall CD in rescue mode.

I run a shall in the rescue mode on the root partition of the Debian
Etch system (on the sdb). There I chroot target/ , mount /usr/ and run
grub:

grub> root (hd1,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

> Another tip is to type something like "root (" + tab, it will give
> you all of possible devices, then complete the name of one device
> and use tab again, GRUB should then tell you which file system is on
> that disk which might so help you.

The tip that you wrote down abowe is helpful.

--
Regards, Paul Csanyi