Re: Clearing SWAP

Am 2008-05-01 22:29:59, schrieb andy:
> Perhaps not. However, my uptime is only 7 days with one user. Yet it
> takes several seconds for my Xfce4 (light and fast) to respond. I am
> unable to load a larger amount of RAM, and my system is sluggish even
> with 1GB of RAM. What is a poor Deb Lenny user to do? SWAP seemed like a
> logical culprit.
> The virtual memory is some 798MB of 980MB and I have only KSCD, KMail,
> Konsole. OO.o Writer, IceApe, IceDove, and this IceDove composer windows
> open.

I do not know, what you do, but on my VIA EPIA LN10000EAG  I  have  only
1 GByte of memory and a 4 GByte "SanDisk Extereme IV" an where I can not
have any SWAP partitions.

From a cold start up to "wdm" login screen (I use  fvwm)  it  need  only
arround 22 seconds...  OpenOffice start now faster then on my  old  "AMD
Sempron 2200+" with 2 GByte of memory...

> When I double click within Xfce on the /home directory icon, there is a
> noticeable lag between clicking and a response. What causes this? Must I
> reboot every few days so as to release memory to allow my system to be
> more responsive? This isn't the GNU/Linux I know and love from my
> Slackware days. What is wrong with my configuration?

How many SWAP do you use?

Do you have considered to compile your kernel with 4 GByte  support  and
PAE (some mchines need it even if they have only 1 Gbyte of  memory)  to
get the rest of your 1 GByte memory?

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)