Iceweasel's UserAgent (was: Cannot remove Google maps sidebar)

Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> Cameron Hutchison wrote:
>> When I visit Google maps (http://maps.google.com/) using either Epiphany
>> or Iceweasel on my Debian sid system, I do not get the little triangle
>> button in the map sidebar that collapses it. This only happens for me
>> with Debian. On my systems with Ubuntu, google maps works as expected.
>>
>> Does anyone know why this may be happening?
>
> It is a problem with the user agent setting. Google maps does not seem
> to realize that iceweasel and firefox are practically the same. You
> can work around this by visiting about:config in iceweasel and
> replacing iceweasel with firefox for the
> general.useragent.extra.firefox string.

This is interesting. I've changed the UserAgent to say Firefox instead
of Iceweasel and that triangle is present (which I had never noticed, to
say the truth, but is very nice), and other sites which did not
recognize Iceweasel now work.

Which leads to the question: Shouldn't Iceweasel at least advertise
itself as Firefox? Because after all it _is_ Firefox, only with a
different name.

--
"We are on the verge: Today our program proved Fermat's next-to-last theorem."
		-- Epigrams in Programming, ACM SIGPLAN Sept. 1982

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
ekalin@gmail.com
http://move.to/hpkb