Xorg and multiple video modes

Please keep me CCd as I will not see a response otherwise.

I noticed there have been radicle changes with the xorg configuration with
xrandr 1.2.  Is there anyway of having a desktop (or screen whatever it was
called) at say 1280x1024 and have actual video modes from 640x480 up to
1280x1024 so that one can easily switch between them (Like older X servers
with ctrl-alt-plus/minus) but still keep the desktop/screen resolution
constant (Which means a lower res would have to pan to see the full screen).
I find this feature quite useful and would not want to give it up.