Re: Unmet dependencies Xfce4 [SOLVED]

Daniel Burrows wrote:
On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 09:59:09AM +0100, andy <geek_show@dsl.pipex.com> was heard to say:
I followed your suggestions. This is the output for running aptitude install xfce4-goodies:

$ sudo aptitude install xfce4-goodies
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
The following packages are BROKEN:
 libxfce4util4 libxfcegui4-4
 hddtemp{a} libsensors4{a} libxfce4util-1{a} libxfcegui4-3{a}
 lm-sensors{a} mousepad{a} thunar-media-tags-plugin{a} xfce4-artwork{a}
 xfce4-battery-plugin{a} xfce4-clipman-plugin{a} xfce4-cpufreq-plugin{a}
 xfce4-cpugraph-plugin{a} xfce4-diskperf-plugin{a} xfce4-fsguard-plugin{a}
 xfce4-genmon-plugin{a} xfce4-goodies xfce4-mailwatch-plugin{a}
 xfce4-minicmd-plugin{a} xfce4-mount-plugin{a} xfce4-netload-plugin{a}
 xfce4-notes-plugin{a} xfce4-quicklauncher-plugin{a}
 xfce4-screenshooter-plugin{a} xfce4-sensors-plugin{a}
 xfce4-smartbookmark-plugin{a} xfce4-systemload-plugin{a}
 xfce4-verve-plugin{a} xfce4-wavelan-plugin{a} xfce4-weather-plugin{a}
0 packages upgraded, 29 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 4046kB of archives. After unpacking 10.2MB will be used.
 libxfcegui4-4: Conflicts: libxfcegui4-3 but 4.2.2-1 is to be installed.
 libxfce4util4: Conflicts: libxfce4util-1 but 4.2.2-1 is to be installed.

  That says it wants to install libxfce4-3 and libxfce4util-1, but they
conflict with packages that are already on your system.

Resolving dependencies...

Install the following packages:
xfce4-systemload-plugin [0.4.2-1 (testing, testing)]

Keep the following packages at their current version:
libxfce4util-1 [Not Installed]
libxfcegui4-3 [Not Installed]

  This says that all the broken dependencies can be resolved by
installing xfce4-systemload-plugin and by not installing
libxfce4util-1 or libxfcegui4-3.  You can enter "o" at the prompt
to get a more detailed breakdown of the reasons behind each choice
aptitude made.

  I'm not sure why it's showing "install xfce4-systemload-plugin"
as a choice: it looks to me like that's already being installed!
If you can add

  -o Aptitude::ProblemResolver::Trace-File=/tmp/some-file-or-other

to the command line and send me the file it writes out, I'd be curious
to see what's happening.  (aptitude-create-state-bundle would also be
interesting, but it produces a much bigger file that's harder to email)

Score is 38

  This is a blinkenlights feature, mostly.  Scores are relevant in that
aptitude makes an effort to present high-scored solutions first, and the
scores are set so that "reasonable" solutions hopefully float to the
top.  But absolute scores don't have any real meaning; what matters when
the resolver is running is the relative scores of packages.

  If you just press "enter" or enter "y" at the prompt, aptitude will
apply its solution to the current state and give you another prompt
showing what will really be installed or removed.

  Daniel

Thanks Daniel As it so happens U removed all of the xfce4 libraries and then reinstalled from scratch using aptitude and specifying the libraries and packages required from scratch. This seemed to work pretty well really.
So, am pleased to report that I am using Xfce4 whilst typing this, listening to Comus in Rhythmbox, and enjoying the various benefits of xfce4-goodies.

Thank you aptitude :)

Andy