Re: Almost Working (was:Re: Help using my new scanner)

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 07:12:19AM -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:

> After trying a number of other things, unsuccessfully, including
> compiling save from sources so that I could compile a different
> backend from source which is supposed to work with my scanner.  I
> finally got the scanner to function if I run xscanimage AS ROOT!  I
> don't want to have to do that.  I then uninstalled all of that mess
> and reinstalled sane from the Debian packages.  I then remembered
> about /dev/.static/dev and added the scanner node there.  I think that
> was when things started to work.  Apparently adding the node in /dev
> did not work, but /dev/.static/dev did.  I then changed its ownership
> to root:scanner and its permissions to 664, but I still can't run as
> myself, only as root.  Do I need to rebout for those changes to take
> effect?  Is there some way to set it up with the ownerchip and
> permissions that I want directly from mknod?  Is there a better way to
> get this working properly?

You need something like this in /etc/udev/rules.d/z60_libsane.rules

# Epson DX-7400 | Epson DX-7400
SYSFS{idVendor}=="04b8", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0838", MODE="0664", GROUP="scanner", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

and make sure you are in the 'scanner' group. (I copied that line from
my sid machine).

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)