Re: website front-end

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 02:59:50PM +1000, Owen Townend wrote:
> On 22/04/2008, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:38:00 -0300, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> >
> > I was under the impression that apache did a lot more than just relay
> > http requests; that in fact said relaying is but a small fraction of its
> > activities.  Is there nothing smaller?

Why do you actually need "something smaller"?

I often run into people looking for something "smaller than apache and
end up mimssing an important feature Aapche has.

Lighttpd ("lighty") is a server that comes somewhat close to Apache
feature-wise but is mostly lighter.

I'm trying to understand exactly what it is that you're looking for. If
you just want the web server to run an external process - any
CGI-capable server can do that. Look for a package that provides
httpd-cgi .

If you want it to "transparantly" proxy some requests to a different
server, you need something like Apache's mod_proxy. lighty has a similar
capability.

Of all the lighter-weight HTTPDs that are in Debian, the only other one
I'm aware of that has some proxying capabilities is the httpd applet of
busybox, for the version in Sid. But normally you wouldn't want to mess
with such "light-wieght" servers if you value your time.