Re: Source code editor

Tero M�ntyvaara wrote:

I am looking for shell program for source code edition. I have used nano, but it isn't enough. I need more "real" IDE like functionalities eg constant view of current row number, file browser and selection, cutting, pasting and copying functions.

[You're very brave ... this is a religious issue, often resulting in a lot of shouting, but so far you got away with it :-)]

May I suggest you try "joe" ?
http://packages.debian.org/etch/joe

I think it mainly appeals to ancient people like me, who remember Wordstar :) It's a modeless editor : you're always in 'insert' mode, but can use Ctrl_ command functions at any time.

The package page says : "Joe has the feel of most PC text editors ... Joe can be set up to emulate editors such as Pico and Emacs, along with a complete imitation of WordStar". It seems to emulate Wordstar out of the box, so that's how I use it.

It's my favourite curses-style screen editor for console-mode text editing, and I install it on every Unix I work upon (Debian, NetBSD, HPUX, and Tru64) - there have been binary packages readily available for all of them.

It does all the things you mention above, and is generally well-featured while also being lightweight. It is, however, just a simple text editor, not an IDE.

<religious>
vi is everywhere, so we have to know how to use it, but I think it's horribly unintuitive to use (some say "as user-friendly as a cornered rat"), though there are of course nicer forked versions, such as vim. emacs is ridiculously cumbersome and over-heavy, but can do anything ("Eventually Mallocs All Computer System" I think the old joke ran) - many people apparently spend their lives inside emacs sessions, rarely venturing out to the shell for anything.

"I'm sorry ... I'm sorry ... I'll go now"  ;)
</religious>

Obviously everyone has their own favourite.

Cheers,
Nick Boyce
--
Leave the Olympics in Greece, where they belong.