bits/news from the users of Debian?

Hi all,

[Please CC me in all replies]

We've had bits from the DPL (Debian Project Leader)[1][2], bits from the
release team[3], bits from the listmasters[4] and bits from other people
and groups within Debian[5][6][7][8][9]. "Bits from someone" simply
means interesting news and other information from some person or group
of people in Debian.

Since one of Debian's priorities is our users, I'd like to see a "bits
from the users" on d-d-a (debian-devel-announce). I also had the thought
of a separate email for developers only on d-p (debian-private) and
perhaps a presentation at DebConf 8 in August. So, I'm gathering your
thoughts for these mails and the possible presentation.

If you are using Debian on your phone, embedded computer, laptop,
desktop, server, network, telecommunications equipment or other part of
your information infrastructure, I'd love to hear from you.

When replying, tell me anything you want to, but if you can't think of
anything, here are some ideas to get you started:

What are you using Debian for? Recording your band's latest songs?
Making valentines for someone? Or powering a spy satellite to take
high-res photos of the Colombian drug boats off the coast of Nicaragua?
Do you have a project (big or small) made with Debian you'd like to show
off? Even if you think its trivial or uninteresting, we want to hear
about it! Using Debian for keeping track of your socks might seem
uninteresting to you, but... What cool package(s) are you using? Did you
buy a beverage for a Debian contributor at DebConf? Are you using
packages from a general area of Debian (science, games, development,
servers)? What about Debian do you think needs changing - do you have
any specific gripes? Is there a specific package that needs to be
maintained better? Do you have the popularity-contest package installed
and working? If not, why not? Are you missing certain packages that are
not available in Debian, were removed from Debian or are not available
in the last stable release (etch)? Why are you using Debian rather than
RHEL/Fedora/CentOS, Gentoo, Ubuntu, MacOS or Windows (or the other way
around)? Are you making a living using or customising or deploying
Debian? What are your plans for using Debian in the future? Did your
Debian wishlist for 2007 come true? What is your Debian wishlist for
2008? What does Debian mean to you? In what ways do you or do you intend
to contribute to Debian and free software in general? How can we help
you to contribute to Debian or free software in general?

In your replies, please indicate which parts are for debconf, d-d-a or
d-p. Please also indicate if you would like to remain anonymous, want
your comments attributed to you or don't care either way. I'll read all
public and private replies and make summaries for d-d-a and d-p.
Depending on the number of replies and my "real life" situation, it
might take a while to write up, so please be patient.

I'm unfortunately monolingual, so if you would like to translate this
mail to your language and translate replies from users to English and
send them to me, please feel free to post it to the non-English user
lists/forums.

     1. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/02/msg00009.html
     2. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/11/msg00000.html
     3. http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/05/msg00015.html