Re: Question about Desktop Environments

Jonathan Jacobs wrote:
GNOME and KDE are the ones that I have. But, is there one out there that looks like XP. I am going to install Debian on my mothers computer and she is running...slowly...XP. Every other comment out of my mom, about the computer, is that it is running slowly. I have already removed any spyware and whatnot and I have cleaned the reg. It is about time that I upgraded her pc to Debian. Just need a desktop environment that looks like XP......any suggestions?

Jonathan

If the hardware is fairly recent (< 4 years old), running gnome or kde on it should not be any problem. I have heard that kde looks more like windows than gnome, but with the right theme, it should be possible to make gnome look like windows too.

IMHO, it would be easier to convince your mother to make the switch to linux rather than trying to make her believe she is running windows. No matter what you try, if she has been using windows for a couple of years, she is bound to find out for herself that it is not windows. Instead, you can tell her that the reason for the computer being slow was the result of all the malware and that there is a better alternative, linux, which doesn't have this problem.

That is what I did in my father-in-law's case. Sure I had to set things up for him a little bit. Install skype and set up the internet connection. But after that he is a happy linux user (ubuntu in this case) and comments on how easy his computer has become to use.

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi