Allowing users to mount external drive/thumbdrive

Hi,
I've just reinstalled a windows computer with debian today. While I
can add an entry to fstab to allow user to be able to mount an
external drive, it won't allow flexible usage of external
drive/thumbdrive. I realized that Ubuntu allows users to plug just
about anything and have it automatically mounted. Can I do the same in
Debian? That means, allowing user to plug a thumbdrive or external
drive and let the computer do the rest.

Btw, one of the external drive was formatted with NTFS and HFS+. While
Debian can autodetect NTFS partition, it seems that it fails to
autodetect HFS+ partition (manual mount with -t hfsplus works though).

Thanks for the help.

Chris