Re: Amarok. Streaming Internet radio stops playing after 12secs

On 3/13/08, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:

> The stream after buffering plays ok, but only for between 10-12 secs, then
> the
> sound stops, and the analyser freezes. The seconds are still ticking by, and
> Gkrellm shows the stream is still coming in from the Internet, but no sound.

I thought I saw something similar yesterday when trying to listen to
BBC Radio 3, but today, it seems to work properly. Oddly enough, wfrg
works as well (it didn't before). I think the reason was because of
the trailing :80 on the original link mentioned in the "What Use is
Gstreamer" thread (as I couldn't make some gstreamer[1] stuff work, so
that started an off-line series of replies). But here, amarok uses
xine (observed in Settings/Configure Amarok/Engine).

Anyway, if I just paste the URL as http://streaming.wfrg.org/ into
Amarok, it'll work.

I'm on lenny as well, and amarok seems more stable than it used to be.
I used to make it crash all the time :(.

> I did also try other Internet radio sites on Amarok's playlist. I'm on
> dialup,
> so tried one that should be ok for dialup users, but same result.

www.kpfa.org (Berkeley CA) might work - it has both 24k and 16k mp3,
as well as ogg streams.

I don't have very many radio stations preset in Amarok ;(. And most if
not all of them are high-bandwidth (> 100 kbps).

> Nigel.

[1] dfox@m206-157:~$ gst-launch-0.10 -v -t playbin uri=http://streaming.wrfg.org
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
ERROR: Pipeline doesn't want to pause.
ERROR: from element /playbin0: A HTTP protocol source plugin is
required to play this stream, but not installed.
Additional debug info:
gstplaybasebin.c(1663): gen_source_element (): /playbin0:
No URI handler for http
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
FREEING pipeline ...

Still I haven't been able to track down the file I need, but as other
methods work, this isn't that big of a deal.