Re: ssh to Vmware linux on a MS Window machine

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 6:40 PM, hce <webmail.hce@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Local network have an IP address 192.168.1.105
>  VMnet1 = 192.168.100.1
>  VMnet8 = 192.168.50.128
>   The bridge is connected between local network and the VMnet8, the
>  bridge IP adderess = 192.168.50.129.
>
>  In window console, the ipconfig cannot see the local IP address
>  192.168.1.105, it can only see the bridge ip address and VMnet1 ip
>  address.
>
>  I tried in my debian box to ping 192.168.1.105, 192.168.50.128 and
>  192.168.50.129. None of them works.
I think you also need to add a route to your VM through the physical
IP address of the Windows PC. The problem is VMware usually introduces
NAT for the VM. Your Linux box will not be able to find a route to
this PC. You can try this:

# route add -host <vm-linux-ip> gw <windows-box-physical-ip>
<network-card-interface>

If you prefer, you can add the whole VMware network, replace `-host
<vm-linux-ip>` with `-net <vm-linux-network> netmask <vm-linux-subnet,
should be 255.255.0.0>`.

(I can't supply you the exact IP because I'm also confused with your
network topology.)

Chris