Re: Release: KNOPPIX5.1.1 for Trusted Compuintg Geeks (v1.0)

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 10:11:39PM +0900, Kuniyasu Suzaki wrote:

>  >>From: Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il>
>  >>Subject: Re: Release: KNOPPIX5.1.1 for Trusted Compuintg Geeks (v1.0)
>  >>
>  >>Your disk image is shipped with a kernel image that has a nice root
>  >>exploit (vmpslice). Yeah, I know, bad luck. What impact does it have on
>  >>your guarantees?
>  >>What impact do your guarantees have on exploitations of that hole?
>
> Yes, TC-Geeks KNOPPIX can not update but it is good example that we
> need a remote attestation to check vulnerability. :-)
>
> We need to check the kernel at the bootloader stage and keep the chain
> of trust.

So it sounds like you're combining this trusted boot thing with
contact with a server somewhere and two together are supposed to
validate the system at boot time, right?

How does the system behave when the authentication server is down? How do you deal
with a compromised authentication server?

just curious about these things...